Friday, January 7, 2011

Paris Mushroom Soup

I love mushrooms, or flavor sponges as those in the know (moi) call them. I made this soup on sunday while half watching the Pats destroy the Dolphins and lamenting that it was my last day off before back to the grind. The soup did make me feel better.

I took a few liberties with the recipe. I added some amazing grey salt with herbs de provence that I have. I added a splash of red wine instead of white because that's what the cabinet held. When blitzing up the first half of the soup in the food processor, it seemed too watery so I took out about a cup of liquid and pureed the rest. I like the consistency better that way. I also left out the little mushroom salad you make for the bottom of the bowl.

This is a great hearty soup, perfect for winter. Not so perfect, however, for photographing. Nothing like a bowl of gray soup. I guess that's why the photo in the book is of the ingredients before they become soup!

Buy this book for the recipe.

14 comments:

Candy Girl said...

Glad you enjoyed this! The color was what turned off my husband. I actually was pretty pleased with my photo of this one!

lolo13 said...

I nearly added red wine as well. Glad to know it can be substituted!

chocolatechic said...

Yeah...all the ingredients were whitish.

I loved this soup!

DessertByCandy said...

Mmmm, herb de provence sounds like a great addition!

Sis. Boom. said...

I loved the color and will make another batch of it when I repaint my living room next Spring to show my painter. FFwD continues to give!

Steph said...

Glad to know that the wine can be red! I had thouht about it but decided to stick to the white. I'll have to change up the color next time.

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

I skipped the "salad", too... now I'm wondering if it would've made for a better photo? ;)

scrambledhenfruit said...

Your liberties sound delicious!

Beth said...

That dark bowl makes the soup look great...Or maybe it was the red wine. Love all the changes cuz that's what cooking is all about!! Happy New Year.B:)

Lizzy said...

I enjoyed hearing all your little tweaks and how we tried like heck to make the beige soup look good! I'm glad you liked it, too!

Steph said...

I agree about why the photo in the book was of the ingredients instead of the soup! Your adds sounded great! I used marsala wine, which worked well too.

Tracey said...

I love mushrooms too so I'm definitely making this one before winter is over! Go Pats :) Can't wait for the Jets next weekend!

mike said...

I'm glad you are making these... as I'm so far behind... but hey, mushrooms are perfect (for cold weather) -looks delicious. And I much prefer red wine in stews/soups anyhoo!

Allison said...

I'll be making this soup tomorrow. I like your idea to take out some of the liquid to thicken it up. Might steal that tomorrow. :)